Tuesday, December 20, 2016

I've Got a New Blog! Again!

Ten years ago last summer, the Pixar movie Cars was released. While it was not Pixar's most critically acclaimed production of all time, it certainly had a major effect on my life. If you know me well, you probably know where I'm going with this...

I started out as a huge NASCAR fan. That's probably unsurprising, since that's the racing series on which a major portion of Cars is based. The movie came out in June 2006, but it wasn't until October 8 of that year that I watched my first NASCAR race, the 2006 UAW-Ford 500 at Talladega Superspeedway. I even wrote the linked Wikipedia article on the race, promoted it to Featured Article status, and got it onto the Main Page this fall as "Today's Featured Article" on the ten-year anniversary of the race. (Yes, I have way too much spare time on my hands.)

Photo I took at Dover in 2012 of Kurt Busch
driving to the garage after an engine failure
Next Memorial Day, May 27, 2007, my dad flipped the television to ABC to show me the 91st Indianapolis 500. It didn't take long for me to get hooked to IndyCar either.

It wasn't until a couple of years ago, however, that I really started to get into the true pinnacle of motorsport worldwide, Formula One. I had always had a slight idea of what was going on but I wasn't truly following the sport nearly as much as I do now. For example, I knew Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber were rivals at Red Bull Racing, but I would have had no clue what you were talking about if you had told me "Multi-21." When I visited my relatives in London over Easter Break in 2015, I found out Formula One was (and is) just as big of a thing over there as NASCAR is in the States, if not bigger. Once I started learning the basics of the series, all the teams (or constructors), and all the drivers, I was hooked again.

Nowadays, I'll watch anything with four (or two) wheels that goes fast, but these are the three series I follow most. So I decided to start (yet another) blog where I can give my opinions and two cents on what's going on in the world of racing. (I don't want to fill up my personal blog, Schneider Speaks, with nothing but motorsports posts.) Welcome to a new room in my Internet house. Pardon the dust while I work on some formatting...

No comments:

Post a Comment